Here are some good coin collecting tips I’ve learned over the years… Along with examples that I blogged about here on this site (in no particular order):
- Join a coin club – they’re perfect for trading/selling coins and just having fun!
- Expert collectors there can also help you grade your coins
- Tell all your friends/family you collect! They’ll find stuff for you!
- Always offer to pay 20% less if you’re buying a coin at a store/dealer
- Ask banks if they have anything “cool” or “old” looking
- Look for silver in foreign coins – no one ever notices/cares about them
- Look for modern foreign currency too – you can still use them as money!
- Separate out your “keepers” and those you’re willing to sell/trade
- Appreciate your coins more by putting them in viewing distance
- You can usually get more by asking for “credit” instead of cash
- Search for items in areas they don’t belong
- If something looks “off,” research it
- Look in jewelry boxes/drawers at yard sales and estate sales!
- Take an odd or non-mainstream coin one to a specialist
- Make a “trading binder” or box to separate out all the coins/currency you’re willing to trade
- Empty jars make great containers for silver and poorer coins – as well as modern foreign ones!
Have any tips of your own? Share them with us in the comments below so we can all learn :)